Prostitution Charges Dropped Against Former Bolshoi Dancer Volochkova
Published: July 5, 2014 (Issue # 1818)
Former Bolshoi Theater ballerina Anastasia Volochkova will not be prosecuted for prostitution-related charges after police in Moscow dropped the case against her, a news report said Friday.
Lawyer Sergei Zhorin referred Volochkova to police in April after an audio tape reportedly had the ballerina "offer sexual services in return for financial compensation," Komsomolskaya Pravda reported at the time.
However, authorities on Friday dropped the case against the prima ballerina citing the statute of limitations, Zhokin was quoted as saying by Russian News Service, or RNS.
"I congratulate Volochkova on the closing of the case, and I advise her not to get into any more trouble," Zhorin said in comments carried by RNS.
Ironically, Volochkova, who left the Bolshoi in 2003, made headlines when she accused her former employee, the legendary Bolshoi Theater, of pushing its dancers to perform sexual services.
In comments made earlier to RNS, Volochkova said ballerinas from the Bolshoi Theater "were forced to go along to grand dinners and given advance warning that afterwards they would be expected to go to bed [with guests] and have sex."
The news that the prostitution case against her has been dropped will provide a welcome relief for Volochkova, who seems to be chased by sex-related stories.
Earlier this week, Russian tabloid Super reported Volochkova's partner, businessman Bakhtiyar Salimov, was left bedridden from a back injury just hours after having sexual intercourse with the ballerina.
The 39-year-old former dancer was said to be "saddened" by the incident, the tabloid added.
Volochkova enjoyed five years with the Bolshoi Theater, appearing in performances such as Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty, before being dropped by the company for supposed weight problems.